The Center for Healthy Living Helps Community Lead Healthy Lives
Three years ago Carol Masella suffered a stroke and was taken to Winchester Hospital. After recovering and returning home, the Wakefield resident needed to be placed on medication, including anticoagulation called warfarin (“blood thinners”). Masella was introduced to the Anticoagulation Clinic at The Center for Healthy Living (CHL) at Winchester Hospital.
CHL’s Anticoagulation Clinic helps Masella monitor her warfarin levels quickly and easily. At the clinic, Masella and other patients benefit from a quick blood test (only a small finger prick is needed), which results in immediate test results. The Clinic’s nurses then make the appropriate warfarin dose adjustments and provide counseling about additional factors that may affect the blood test.
“It was so nice to go to the Clinic instead of the doctor’s office,” she said. “Everything was done right there and it was much faster than if I were to go see my doctor. We discussed my medication and my test results. It was so much more convenient.”
Since coming to The Center for Healthy Living to utilize the Anticoagulation Clinic, Masella has also taken advantage of acupuncture to treat headaches as well as classes to learn how to manage her pre-diabetes. She also signed up for Lifeline, a personal response service that helps individuals live independently while ensuring help is just a button push away, 24 hours a day. Her sons liked the idea of having a button she could wear that would allow her to call for help when needed.
“The Center for Healthy Living has been great. I’ve been able to go there for so many things – diabetes, medication, head and knee pain – it’s really been such a benefit to me,” said Masella.
Formerly called the Community Health Institute, The Center for Healthy Living helps community members take responsibility for their health and well-being by offering the education and resources that change lives.
Established in 1996, the Center for Healthy Living, which recently moved to a new location at 200 Unicorn Park Drive in Woburn, offers more than 30 programs and services throughout the year. The Center for Healthy Living offers programs in:
- Disease management – pediatric asthma program, diabetes education, heart failure program, anticoagulation clinic, osteoporosis screenings
- Integrative therapies – acupuncture, hypnotherapy, massage therapy, Reiki
- CPR and first aid – various CPR and first aid classes for the general public and health care professionals, as well as safe babysitting courses
- Fitness – Tai Chi/Qi Gong, various yoga classes and cardio classes for all ages and fitness levels
- Childbirth and baby care – education programs about childbirth, baby care, breastfeeding and a lactation boutique offering top-quality breastfeeding supplies
- Weight management – medically-supervised weight loss program
- Support groups – diabetes, nursing mothers, prostate cancer
- Career services – nurse aide training program
- A Caring Place – retail store for women who need wigs, camisoles, bras, etc. following chemotherapy or other medical procedures
- Smoking cessation programs
For more information about Center for Healthy Living, please call (781) 756-4700 or visit www.winchesterhospital.org/our-services.
About Winchester Hospital
Winchester Hospital is the first hospital in Massachusetts to earn Magnet recognition, the American Nurses Association’s highest honor for nursing excellence, three times. As the northwest suburban Boston area’s leading provider of comprehensive health care services, the 229-bed facility provides care in general, bariatric and vascular surgery, orthopedics, pediatrics, cardiology, pulmonary medicine, oncology, gastroenterology, rehabilitation, radiation oncology, pain management, obstetrics/gynecology and a Level IIB Special Care Nursery. Winchester Hospital has clinical affiliations with several nationally recognized hospitals in the region, including Boston Children’s Hospital, Tufts Medical Center and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. To learn more, visit www.winchesterhospital.org.