In 1912, the Winchester Visiting Nurse
Association opened the first Winchester
Hospital in the three-story Todd House on
Washington Street. With 12 beds, the new hospital flourished immediately, making it quickly apparent that a larger hospital was necessary.
In the early fall of 1913, a canvass of the town produced $22,000, and the next spring, a group of businessmen succeeded in raising an additional $25,000. With these funds, the Winchester Visiting Nurses purchased a 5.5-acre tract of land bordered by Highland Avenue, Valley Road, Maple Street and Fairmount Street.
Officers and Committee members of the Winchester Visiting Nurse Association laid the cornerstone of the present Winchester Hospital on May 18, 1916.
The new, 44-bed Winchester Hospital admitted its first patient on May 28, 1917.
Although the buildings and technology have changed dramatically over the course of the hospital’s history, the dedication of the hospital’s caregivers remains constant. Their unwavering commitment to quality patient care makes Winchester Hospital what it is today – an award-winning, full-service hospital with state-of-the-art technology delivered with a personal touch.