Successful treatment starts with in-depth diagnosis utilizing pathology and state-of-the-art imaging technologies. Accredited by the American College of Radiology (ACR) and the College of American Pathologists, our advanced technologies include:
- Clinical lab and nuclear medicine
- CT scan
- Digital mammography
- Interventional radiology
- MRI and MRI breast biopsies
- PET/CT scan
- Virtual colonoscopy
Patient Education at the Cancer Center
Although the Internet has opened the world to all who have a computer, it can often be a source of overwhelming information. Helping patients understand cancer prevention, diagnosis, treatment and survivorship is an integral part of our mission at the Center for Cancer Care.
The Center for Cancer Care is proud to supply our patients, their families and friends with updated reliable cancer education information in our Patient Resource Room located on the first floor of the cancer center.
Videos, books, pamphlets and child appropriate tools are available in the resource room at no cost to the individual. Sources of cancer information include literature from the American Cancer Society, National Cancer Institute and the Lance Armstrong Live Strong organization. Please feel free to stop by and browse the shelves of available resources.
Cancer can be a scary thought and definitely an even scarier diagnosis. Taking some simple actions can help prevent many cancers. Here are some tips:
- Tobacco use: Don’t smoke or chew tobacco. If you do, find a smoking cessation program to help you stop. Minimizing your exposure to second-hand smoke can also help.
- Healthy diet: Increase your intake of fruits and vegetables. Make your daily diet a color pallet.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Keep you weight under control by eating healthy and adding physical activity to your day. (Always talk with your diet before beginning an exercise program.)
- Protect the skin you’re in: Sunscreen/sunblock helps minimize the damage sunlight can cause. Hats and long-sleeve, light-weight clothing also helps.
- Immunizations: Work with your healthcare provider to find out which immunizations can help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Avoid risky habits: Decrease your alcohol intake, wear your seat belt, find ways to manage the stress in your life and have healthy sleep habits.
- Maintain the ACS recommendations on cancer screening: This includes mammograms, PAP smears, PSA tests for men, colonoscopy. Early detection is what saves lives.
- If possible, know your family history: Have important conversations with family to determine if there could be inherent cancer risks.
Winchester Hospital's Breast Care Center is fully accredited as an ACR Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, offering digital mammography, breast biopsies and on-site surgeons, radiologists and oncologists.
To complement our excellent medical and surgical services, Winchester Hospital offers alternative therapies, including acupuncture, hypnotherapy, massage therapy, yoga and more.
The skilled and caring staff at Winchester Hospital's Pain Management Center helps hundreds of patients each year reduce and cope with chronic pain so that they can lead more active and productive lives.