Chest Surgery by Skilled Physicians
Thoracic surgery at Winchester Hospital is provided by surgeons certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery.
All surgical conditions of the esophagus, lungs, mediastinum, chest wall and diaphragm are treated with state-of-the-art techniques such as minimally invasive thoracic surgery, video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) for lobectomy and wedge resection of the lung. Cardiac pacemakers and surgery related to the pericardium are also performed.
Find a thoracic surgeon on the Winchester Hospital medical staff.
Thoracic Surgery Procedures
Thoracic (chest) surgery procedures at Winchester Hospital include:
- Diagnostic bronchoscopy (looking inside the airways)
- Diagnostic mediatinoscopy (looking inside the upper chest)
- Exploratory thoracotomy (exploration of the chest) with:
* Wedge resection
- Cardiac pacemaker implantation
- Pericardiectomy (surgery on the membrane of the heart)
- Esophagogastrectomy (removal of a portion of the esophagus and stomach)
- Esophagectomy (removal of part or all of the esophagus)
- Thoracoscopy/VATS (video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery to examine inside the chest)
Winchester Hospital offers a variety of rehabilitation services – including cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation as well as physical, occupational and speech therapy – to help you get back to your normal routine.
The skilled and caring staff at Winchester Hospital's Pain Management Center helps hundreds of patients each year reduce and cope with chronic pain so that they can lead more active and productive.
Winchester Hospital offers the state-of-the-art da Vinci robotic surgical system for minimally invasive surgery, allowing most patients to go home within 24 hours of surgery, experience less pain and recover faster.