Community and Hospital Asthma Management Program (CHAMP)
Winchester Hospital’s Community and Hospital Asthma Management Program (CHAMP) is an educational asthma program for children. This free program provides a team approach to treating children with asthma.
The purpose of CHAMP is to:
- Reduce emergency visits
- Reduce missed days from school
- Reduce asthma-related inpatient admissions
- Improve the patient's lung function
- Increase the patient and family knowledge of asthma
The CHAMP team consists of the patient, family, physician, certified asthma educator or nurse, inpatient pediatric staff, licensed respiratory therapist, emergency department staff and school nurse.
How CHAMP Can Help
CHAMP can help you and your child learn more about:
- Controlling exposure to factors that trigger asthma episodes
- Effectively managing asthma with medicine
- Monitoring the disease by using realistic measures of lung function
- Educating asthma patients to become partners in their own care
- Creating collaboration between patients, families, health care professionals and the public through education
CHAMP consists of:
- Three home visits by a certified asthma educator
- An individualized asthma action plan
- Evaluation of and education about correct use of inhalers, spacers, peak flow meters and nebulizers
- Providing the child and family with a peak flow asthma diary/asthma signs diary
- Involving school personnel and other care providers with the child’s asthma action plan and peak flow information
For more information about the free CHAMP program, please contact the Winchester Hospital The Center for Healthy Living at 781-756-4700.
Emergency care at Winchester Hospital is stronger than ever. We offer the latest technology, medical care and pediatric services through a partnership with specialists from Boston Children’s Hospital.
To complement our excellent medical and surgical services, Winchester Hospital offers integrative therapies, including acupuncture, hypnotherapy, massage therapy, yoga and more.